Friday 14 May 2010

DigiElectNation?

General opinion in the press and in the blogosphere(there must be a better term) seems to indicate that this was not the 'internet election' that was predicted in the UK. The TV debates seem to have overshadowed the use of social networking sites in swaying opinion. Statistically, however, big gains were predicted for the Lib-Dems but the election results did not provide them.

That is how things appear on the surface of the situation. I am currently working on a short paper about the use of social media in the 2010 election, I hope to uncover a more in-depth picture of whether these are true assertions or not.

There have been some very interesting statistics coming from tweetminster. The guardian digital content blog reports here on whether tweets can be used to accurately predict vote turn out.

I was interested also in Rory Cellan-Jones' (BBC's Digital Election Correspondent) statement quoted here by the guardian: "I said [to my editors] that 'This is the one campaign where it might have a specific role, where we can concentrate on it specifically. Next time it will just be part of every political correspondent's job."

1 comment:

  1. Unrelated to this post - but how do I follow your blog? I can't find the button...

    ReplyDelete